Friday, March 26, 2010

Vince Lombardi

“The difference between a successful person and others is not lack of knowledge, but lack of will." – Vince Lombardi

To this I say, what if a wall sat in between you and the success you spent your time day dreaming about. What if that wall was your father and mother? What if this wall was your own flesh and blood? What if this person had everything from knowledge to passion, except the simple approval of their parents.

Will a person’s will still matter then?

Some parents, especially here believe they have a right to control there child. Even after high school, after university, after marriage. One thing not all parents try to understand is their child. In Kuwait, a son or daughter isn’t given much individuality. There given ‘yes’ or a ‘’no’’, not a ‘‘lets talk’’.

What if a person, in there teens wanted to volunteer by helping the poor. Wanted to go to Africa and help, wanted to head to Chile and simply help for the sake of helping.


" Oh no, you'll get a disease."

" You don’t help around in this house, what makes you think you can help others?"

" No, your not responsible enough."

" Nope, you’re a girl. What will people say if they heard we let you go to Africa alone?"

" You don’t have to go, just send them money. That’s all they need."

Mom? Dad? Is this it?

Well then:

1) I don’t help in the house because you’ve employed workers to do everything, literally. If you’re referring to my brothers and sisters, well I find them disturbing and annoying.

2) You think I'm not responsible enough, maybe you should give me opportunities that allow me to actually be responsible. I’d do anything.

3) Having a specific physical shape will not change the fact that I have a brain and I know how to think. Being a girl is not something to be ashamed of. Just like a guy can think a girl can think, we both have brains by the way!


4) You sent me to school for a reason and that is to be educated. When I ask you for something besides a purse or to go out with my friends, why do you give me a weird look and remind me I’m a girl?


5) Why the hell should I care if other people found out I'm going to Africa? I’m going to help those in need. Since when has helping been a bad thing, looked down on by society?

6) One thing that you find in every society is people who talk. Well guess what, they talk so much that soon all it is JUST talk. Those who don’t want to be, talk and those who do, just have to ignore them. I’m choosing to ignore them because I know that if they don’t talk about me or say rumors and do what they do best, then they’ll just be talking about something else and someone else.

7) Money is not always the solution. Yes, they need money, but I want to help them on a more personal level. Sure, let’s send money, why not. But also, why not send people? Who want to help, who will express love and kindness, who will try to make them smile, and provide them food and see how much they appreciate it.


I want to be there, I want the experience, I want to help, I want to feel alive.


Vince, sometimes, will doesn’t matter even one bit. As much as I try to believe it, I always wonder, will it ever be enough?

In this case, no.

9 comments:

  1. This blog is AMAZING!
    I cant believe that someone actually thinks like that! I've always thought I was the only one!

    Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    mwaz

    SSF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Uu outdone urselves eeeeeevery time!! Keep up the good work and dnt Take NO for an answer! Thanks aagain...!
    .N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! Again;D u just keep outdoing yourself everytime! Thank U! Keep up the good work and don't take NO for an answer! Thnx Again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Really thought i was the only one thinking like this! our parents have to read this, maybe they will feel some guilt in someway.

    F

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:

    Thank you,its always good to know that a few people out there share your thoughts. Atleast now you know, there are people out there who understand.

    Anonymous2:

    Thanks alot for your support, and yes, we'll never take no for an answer!

    F-

    yeah, i agree, they should read it and maybe even, they'd come to understand it and understand us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those responses by parents are So true!!!
    They do say that! Wow you guys are smart ;P
    Great post
    -G

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can really relate to this. I've day dreamed countless times about going on a charity trip , only to be stopped by the thought of the "wall".
    *sigh*
    If onllly I could move out after high school and give my life some kind of meaning.
    Alas, even though I adore my wall , they're putting the dot to a lot of dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. G: Thanks!

    Anonymous: We all wish to move out after high school, but AGAIN... the society wont accept that... they'll view it as corrupt! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahahhahaha .. u know why i laugh ? cuz thats the EXACT WORD FOR WORD answers my parents gave me when i told them i wanted to volunteer in africa.. its good to know i'm not alone :) .. just study abroad and do things they wont find about ..

    ReplyDelete